Cathedral Church of Redemption:
Designed by Henry Medd, Cathedral Church of the Redemption resembles the shape of a birthday cake with a candle placed upon it. Situated the
north of the Jaipur Column, in the Rashtrapati Bhawan area, the church is not much of historical importance but has delightful interiors that
are a treat for its visitors. It has been so built that heat is kept off even when summer is in its prime and the place remains cool and calm as
sunlight peeps into the church through small and recessed openings,
placed strategically. There is a tinted glass window that enhances the
ethereal beauty of the church. It also houses a fine organ and a
silver-cross, which was donated to the Church by Irwin.
Church of the Sacred Heart:
Built in 1927-28, the Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart, also
popularly known as Viceroy's Church, was designed by Henry Medd and
represents one of his more ambitious projects. This Church displays a
strong Italianate influence, with a facade of white pillars, which
support a canopy placed against a dark brick background. There are
circular arcaded turrets that rise above the roof on each side of the
entrance porch. The interiors are fabulous with a towering curved roof,
polished stone floors and broad arches laid down into smooth walls that
creates a magnificent grandiose look.
St. James Church:
St. James Church situated in the Kashmere Gate area is believed to be
the oldest surviving Church of Delhi. James Skinner, the son of a
Scottish father and a Rajput mother, built it. The architecture is
heavily influenced by the western classical design and a Greek cross
plan. The porticoes built on the three sides were conceptualized to
symbolize the three arms of the cross. The eastern arm contains the
altar, while a dome covers the middle segment of the church. St. James
Church was badly damaged in 1857 but in 1865, it was renovated again.
The grave of James Skinner is placed in front of the altar, while the
other graves that belong to his family members lie in the north of the
church. Unlike other churches, it remains closed on Sundays and is
opened only on special requests or services.