Mahal of Jaipur is a multi-layered palace with a beehive structure built
by Sawai Pratap Singh (grand son of Sawai Jai Singh and son of Sawai
Madho Singh) in 1799 and was designed by Mr. Lal Chand. The beautiful
use of red and pink sand stones outlined with delicate white borders and
motifs are simply out of this world. Overlooking one of Jaipur's main
streets, it was originally constructed for the women of the court so
that they may pass their time by watching hustle-bustle of the bazaar
without being watched by people on the streets. The entire building is
shaped to resemble a crown adorning Lord Krishna's head. It offers
splendid views of the city, including the many old palaces and houses.
Surprisingly, there is a total lack of ornamentation in the interiors of
the building and chambers are stark and plain with a mass of pillars and
passages that lead to the top storey.